The General Audit Office (AGN, for its acronym in Spanish) evaluated the implementation of the program of Integrated Management of Solid Waste in Touristic Municipalities emphasizing the applet that focuses on the jurisdictions in which the disposal of waste is not included in the provincial Plan. And in this regard it noted "a low level of efficiency."
It is that of 20 projects and many works "just 7 and 4 had work plans that were carried out" within completion of the program, despite having an extended deadline.
To this can be added that the Executive Unit (EU) "drew up 38 indicators to evaluate performance and assign scores for each area in order to analyze the different municipalities." But from 2010 to June 2013, "they had been used only two works located in the province of Mendoza." As reported by the EU, the evaluation in Termas de Rio Hondo was not performed because "could not complete the necessary data file for analysis."
Another relevant fact which leaves uncovered the low efficiency in the implementation of the program is the "feasibility studies in Villa Gesell, Pinamar and the area of the Coast when these municipalities did not have land to do the works."
The program, which is under the purview of the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development (SAyDS), at a cost of U$S 75 million of which the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) contributed 80% and the remaining 20% in Argentina. In turn, the subprogram 2, the reason for the audit in question, used a little more than U $ S 25 million.
Another case highlighted in the report occurred in Entre Rios, specifically in Gualeguaychú. The work "included the source separation of waste, separate collection and the commissioning of an Ecopark". To do this "the installation of a plant" was expected. However, in the area where the works were thought to make "a deposit of biowaste five meters deep was there."
In the Termas de Rio Hondo in Santiago del Estero something similar happened. A Plant was expected to "source separation and recycling of waste, make a separate collection and remediate the existing landfill," among other issues. However, studies showed that "the municipality had little capacity to ensure the viability of the project."
In that case, the Bank selected companies to conduct feasibility studies and in 2009 "the EU launched a bidding process to implement the System of Solid Waste Management (firedamp)," which included the construction of an environmental center and sanitation of the landfill."
The AGN found that "in the file there are no plans to implement this plan." In addition, "the consulting firm hired by the Bank began its work six months after work started although its evaluation should ensure their viability."
During construction, "they did not carry out quality monitoring on the groundwater or surface." In May 2012 the work was completed but the auditors noted that "the sorting and recovery of waste is similar to that done in a landfill open."
The Executive Unit was created in 2008 but "did not incorporate personnel in charge of environmental area until 2012, in breach of the provisions of the Operating Manual". Only in 2013 "sign Strengthening personnel sector." At the closing of the audit "they did not have an organization approved or finalized".
The EU must present reports on a biannual basis to the Bank with financial data, projects completed, in progress and results of the supervision in the works, among others. From 2010 to 2013, "they only partially complied with the required data." The report, approved in August 2015, cited as an example that "problems are listed but no measures to correct them."
A period was also detected in the works that no environmental impact studies were performed.